.woocommerce-product-gallery{ opacity: 1 !important; } Lauritzon's sustainable operations 1/2022 - Lauritzon

Lauritzon's sustainable
operations 1/2022

Author Lauritzon

Responsibility and sustainable development are key values at Lauritzon, guiding the company’s operations in many ways. We continually develop our operations with sustainable development in mind, as we implement them to the best of our abilities in our day-to-day. We work in close cooperation with manufacturers, and we require them to operate responsibly in equal measure. The fabrics chosen for our collection have also passed our stringent quality requirements, and thereby also fulfil sustainable development criteria. 

At the moment, Lauritzon is involved in two master’s thesis projects, carried out in partnership with LUT University in Lappeenranta, eastern Finland. The theses examine our purchase process from a sustainability viewpoint, and creating in the process our Code of Conduct.

This is the ethical backbone to our company’s operations. We also studied the carbon footprint of various fabrics and fibres – which factors matter to the level of environmental friendliness, and to what extent. Our target at Lauritzon is to develop our understanding on how we can develop our operations to be even more sustainable, and to give consumers and our customers more information and the means to operate more sustainably.

Recycled fabrics continue to grow apace – and our Greencare collection is also growing well. Carbon neutrality is also on our agenda, but at the moment the only way to achieve it is by compensating for our carbon footprint. The carbon footprint should be as low as possible before end production compensation, which is why it is important to be well aware of the fabric’s quality, material and manufacturing method and location. We at Lauritzon greatly value that consumers ask these important questions from us! 


Story fabric – sustainable recycled cotton


Our Story fabric is an example of a product that is made of 75% recycled cotton and 25% recycled polyester. Recycled cotton prevents the creation of excess textile waste and requires a considerably lower amount of resources than ordinary or organic cotton. The production of recycled cotton does not require agricultural land, which can instead be used for food production, which is very important in emerging countries. The material also requires much less water for the production and dyeing, because recycled cotton already includes some colour. This makes it an excellent ecological alternative.


Recycled cotton may be of lower quality than new cotton, but Story contains 25% recycled polyester, making the fabric durable and of high qualityRecycled polyester is an excellent way to reuse plastic and keep it from piling up in landfill sites. The production of recycled polyester also requires much fewer resources than the production of new fibres (approx. 70% less electricity) and the manufacturing process creates less CO2 emissions (approx. 54% less than in the case of primary production).


Story’s cotton fibres originate in their entirety from Europe, 90% from Italy and the remaining 10% from other countries. This makes Story fabric an even more environmentally friendly choice, because the less fibres travel around the world, the lower the emissions. The fabric is also woven in Italy, meaning that the entire production process from fibre to fabric takes place relatively close to home. The manufacturer uses electricity during production that is mostly generated by solar power. The manufacturer has a large amount of solar panels on the factory roof, and they are currently working towards a number of sustainability certificates. And naturally, the fabric has always be granted the REACH Certificate of Compliance and the Global Recycle Standard (GRS) certificate.. 

Fabrics

New Collectuib

Uncategorized